35 Comments

• Deidre Austen

Hi Mikey,

I took a picture from the top of our tank while I was feeding the fish. I have an option on my camera that allows me to take REALLY close up photos, and this one turned out great.

I enlarged the picture when I posted it. The trout was only about 1 1/2 inches long, but it looks much bigger.

🙂 Mrs. Austen

1. Adam R

The trout look like a very interesting topic to learn about. This looks very fun to do. How long does it take for trout to grow? What is the trouts lifespan in the wild?

• Deidre Austen

Hi Daniel,

We only fed the trout a very small amount of food at a time (4 big pinches of food), so they finished eating in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the question – it’s a great way to get a conversation going on our blog.

🙂 Mrs. Austen

• Deidre Austen

Hi Manning,

I’m not sure what you mean in your comment. Can you clarify?

One way I’ve learned to make my comments more clear is to write the question that I’m answering in my comment. Here’s an example:

Susan asked in an earlier comment, ” How big to trout
      get?” …. The largest rainbow trout ever recorded weighed
      over 40 pounds! It was caught in western Canada.

Hope that helps,
      🙂 Mrs. Austen

2. Emma R

For the Stranger at the Lake I liked how the stranger got arrested. It’s good that Marven and Marian didnt go with the stranger.

3. Philip G.

I wonder what Jerusalem Mill looks like. I bet that it will look like a valley and a river or lake beside it. I can’t wait for the field trip tommorow!

4. Katarina D.

I wonder how many trout will be released. There might be more than 500! How big could the trout get? Could they be more than a foot? I hope so!!

5. Rishi B.

I left the Trout when they were very small (1 cm). Now they’re double the size! I think that they are going to do very well in the wild. Good luck Trout!

6. Blake D.

How many eggs can a female trout lay? How many kinds of trout are there? I hope the trout give us each a caddis fly.

7. Ankith

I can’t wait until tomorrow when we release the rainbow trout. I wonder how much the rainbow trout grew. It’s going to be so much fun!

8. Connor E.

The trout are going to leave us and go to Jerusalem Mill. I hope the trout live for a long time. Fight Back Trout!

9. Mrs. Miller's Homeroom

We really learned a lot on our trip to Jerusalem Mill today!
    *We learned that the predator hunts for prey. – Michael H.
    *It is more difficult to survive when food is scarce. -Austin F.
    * If a fish stays still, the predator won’t go after it. -Blake D.
    *Small insects eat leaves. Minnows eat insects. Then the trout will eat the minnows. -Emma C.
    *The top of the trout is the color of the sand and the bottom of the fish is the color of the sky. This is a way they camoflagh so they won’t be eaten. -Beulah L.
    *Baby trout are called fry. -Annabelle L.
    *Worns can live in dirty water but, not clams. Clams can only live in clean water. -Natalie O.
    *Trout can be eaten by bigger fish or bigger trout. -Sebastien
    *Lots of insects and fish live under big rocks. -Ally M.
    *Our hike, I saw frogs camoflaghed on tree stumps. -Katarina D.
    *On our hike we saw a big snapping turtle. -Blake D.

10. Calvin

Oh, I just simply love trouts and the Gunpowder River field trip for the 4th grade. I hope the trought get to live for a long time. As a 5th grader I personaly think that the trout is a fun biology, learning experience for the 4th graders. I hope the kids agree so too. Good Bye!

11. Ankith .H

I liked the pictures of the trout. The trout look bigger then they did before. The trout are different sizes.