129 Comments

← Previous Page 2 of 2
  1. Abby

A good idea for keeping up with the STEM fair is to work ahead when you can so that you won’t fall behind. Also make sure to conduct three trials so you have accurate data. Following your timeline is very important so you don’t fall behind on your project. If you have any questions about your project, you should ask your teacher. Also make sure that when you calculate your means that they are correct. I used a calculator to calculate the means so that I was certain that the means are correct.

2. Jack

Dear, fourth graders

I think a good topic is growing crystals it only takes a couple of days too. It is a very interesting topic, i’m thinking about doing a further investegation on this topic like changing the different types of water.
    Hope this helps.
    JackS.

3. Yanjie

Hello, 4th graders! Here are some tips to stay on track: 1. read the time line regularly 2. check the loacl library for books related to your topic 3. try some of the websites in student resorces.

4. Saqib

Hello 4th graders
    To get a good grade on your STEM do these simple things…

-Save all data on flash drive and on your computer
    -In your procedure remember to say add up all the data and find the mean/average
    -Give your procedure to a friend so he or she can tell you if you did a good job
    -make 2 copies of all of your question,hypothosis,materials,conclusion,graph and all that
    -Make sure you have your timeline signed or you get 5% deducted

Hope you have a good grade.

• May

As a fourth grader I like using my flashdrive to save up my data. But sometimes I forget to bring my flashdrive. I figured it is easier to do everything at home and the printing at school because my mom doesn’t like me using up the printer ink.
      I double checked my procedure to make sure I have gather all materials at the front and calculate the mean at the end. My techer doesn’t really check the timelines because in the end, nobody in my class really followed the timelines.

5. Abby P.

Hello Fourth Grade! The timeline is helpful because you will not fall behind in STEM Fair. Also make your procedure clear or some people will not understand. You have to use three trials while doing your investigation.

6. Henry

Hello fouth graders. If I was you I would work ahead. It would help you in the long run. the harder you work the better your grade will be. So if you work hard and stay on the time line or ahead you will get a good grade. Hope you do well!

• Deidre Austen

Although Henry’s strategy may work for 5th graders who have alread completed a STEM Fair project, I would not advise fourth graders to work ahead your first time through the STEM Fair process. Your science teachers will be modeling each step, and it is important that you follow the models that they provide. If you work ahead, you may complete the steps incorrectly and have to start over.

Mrs. Austen

7. Mario S.

Hey 4th graders when you get around to typing your mean results don’t say average because there are many averages say mean results in whatever type of metric measurement your using. Also remember to indent in every paragraph you have. While you think about your topic make sure it could be useful to someone.

I hope these tips help

8. Deanna

Hey 4th graders, hope you are having a wonderful year so far! Don’t worry about science fair this year, just try your best. Make sure you include 3 trials and mean in your procedure and also use metric units. Make sure to be specific in everything. If you try your best I think you will do just fine.

9. Brooke S.

Dear 4th graders
    You guys have some time before you start science fair, but you should begin to think about your topic and question. So when the time comes you will be ready.

• Shelia Voelker

Katie,
      I think that is wonderful advice. Choose something that interests you or that you want to learn more about.

10. Katie O.

Dear Fourth Graders,

Don’t worry about your board. Your science teacher will give you all of the materials that you need to organize your STEM Fair board. All you need to do is figure out what colors you are going to choose and assemble your board!

Katie O.

• Valerie S.

As a fourth grader I had a lot of worries about the STEM fair project because the board seemed to be so hard to work with and your tips really helped me thank you!

• Deidre Austen

Valerie, your comment shows us all why it is so important for us to share ideas on our blog. It’s wonderful to know that in our learning community we can all help each other out.

Hopefully your comments can help next year’s fourth graders!

11. John C

Dear 4th graders,
    If you want to get research you should not go to wiki because I heard wiki does not post real information. I think the best way to keep your notes is to use the research is to use the research table in your STEM folder. Remember if somewone has the same topic as you, you may help each other with research. You should also remember to do three trials or more. I think the mistake you should avoid is turning in things late. I really hope this helps

12. Helen W.

Hey 5th Graders! Thanks really much for all the tips. Now I know that I should pay good attention to my timeline, and that I should conduct 3 trials. I have a question though… Would researching chemicals be okay for your project? I have a friend that wants to experiment with some chemicals for STEM fair.
    Thanks! 🙂

13. Cynthia

Dear 4th Graders,
    I found it helpful to find my research in World Book Kids/ world Book Student or Brainpop Jr./ Brainpop. You can find them at http://www.bcps.org. I organized my research notes by doing it on Microsoft Word. You guys can find information from each other by finding a buddy that is doing the same or similar topic as you. Three trials should be completed because if you mess one up, there are two more that allow you to try again. It also allows you to know that the data is correct because all three trials, the numbers should be close together. You should use the metric system because that is what scientists use, and in this case, you are all “scientists”. You can make your procedure clear by listing specific amounts and writing down EXACTLY what you did. You will use math when you are calculating the mean/average. The timeline is VERY HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! It tells you what you should do in each phase and when does the phase start and end. Hope you 4th graders do well. Have fun!

14. Yuma

Hello Fourth graders. You should try to avoid handing in the things that are due late. Later you would get points taken off. When you get in fifth grade, you get graded while you are doing your STEM fair project so don’t hand in your things late.
    When you finish your Stem fair projects, you will fell like this, AHHHHH. Really. It fills so good to be done. It fells like schools is out but, it’s not :(.
    Hope this helps.

15. Jade K.

As a fourth grader…….I think it would be good to think about your topic and your question before you start science fair because you be ready when the time comes.

Thank you for your helpful hint, Brooke S.

16. Ryan W

Dear 4th graders,

Be sure you pick a fun topic because there is a lot of research and weeks of hard work. You need to make sure that you know your topic very well for when the judges come. I hope my tips help you and good luck!