17 Comments

1. Caroline W.

I am really glad that my school has rainbow trout this year .
    I am very prond that the rainbow trout is doing well

• Deidre Austen

I agree, Caroline!

Did you know that we are the only elementary school in BCPS to raise rainbow trout? We are so lucky to have a magnet program that allows us to get involved in projects like Monaarch Madness and Trout in the Classroom. πŸ™‚

• Deidre Austen

Aj, scientists call the eggs at this stage “eyed eggs” for the very reason that you explained. When the eggs are getting ready to hatch, the shells are transparent and we can clearly see the eyes of each trout inside.

Great observation!

2. Camille

Dear Ms. Austen,

About how many rainbow trout eggs are there?
    When do you think that most of the rainbow trout will hatch?

• Deidre Austen

Camille, we did not get a count of the eggs when they were delivered because they were already hatching and the alevin were moving around.

We have Environmental Club today after school, and we will brainstorm a way to get an estimate of how many alevin we now have (all by 1 egg has hatched).

3. Deidre Austen

Thank you to students in Ms. Kellner’s class who visited the blog from home and left comments. I love that you are joining our digital conversation.

I have to fill some buckets here as well … I am very impressed by the students who left comments because they made sure to write in complete sentences and use correct capitalization and punctuation. This is a skill that 4th graders are mastering on our Edmodo page, and it’s terrific to see that students are communicating so well in writing on the blog as well.

4. Cooper B.

I liked looking at the rainbow trout for the first time because when I looked at them they where so small and adorable.

5. Tara D.

I am so excited for the rainbow trout. I look forward to them every year. I am sad when I leave for Ridgley this year because I won’t see the trout anymore.